GROWING WINGS: LETTING GO OF A CHILDHOOD DREAM

12 November 2020 Andrews Ave, Pasay, 1300 Metro Manila, Philippines

During my teen years I made a list of all the things I wanted to do by the time I was in a certain age and what I wanted to be when I grow up. Apparently, becoming a Flight Attendant was on top of the list. Everyone close to me - family, friends and even my blog readers know how much I've always wanted to become a Flight Attendant. Like many others, it has been my childhood dream. My love for airplanes, adventure and helping others probably culminated from family members who work in airline industries, the environment I'm in (I live next to the airport by the way) and my passion for traveling.


I've been turned down a couple of times, it even got to the point where I almost gave up. One person even said, "Maybe it's not the job for you." After hearing those words I ended up believing it for a while. I created a whole reality where I thought I wasn't good enough. For months, my life became a series of rejections and disappointments thus, I decided to go back to my roots which was writing but just when I've got everything planned out for my blog, I finally got in PAL Express.

To make the long story short, I've worked as a Flight Attendant for a year in 2017 and I have no regrets. It's just that I was too focused on the safety manuals and waking up at wee hours in the morning that I became more frustrated with each passing minute while I was there. I get sick a day before I have to report because that's how much I struggled with my job. I get anxiety from being gone and missing everything that happens in my loved ones lives. Don't get me wrong though, I admire my colleagues who are enjoying being a Cabin Crew, I have batch-mates who are still with the company for over 3 years now. Cheers to that! The whole point is, in life you should know when to finally walk away from something that no longer resonate the goals you originally valued. Don't be afraid to stand up for your own health and well-being and make a change. You are not giving up - you are growing. 


Letting go of a childhood dream or even an entire career path can be daunting, to say the least. I've cycled through denial, anger, sadness, and acceptance many times but I know going through these emotions will help them pass more quickly. In fact, I was supposed to post this as soon as I resigned but I never dared to do so until now. I have dreams that I've been itching to make come true, and for me to do that I must continue moving forward even when things don't go as planned.

This new opportunity is one that I am ecstatic and passionate about, one that I know, I cannot walk away from. Although it might not be stability or job security, it's an adventure that I have always wanted. If I didn't go for it, I would always wonder what could have been, and I don't want to live with that question. 

If you're reading this, thank you. It means a lot knowing that there are still those who continuously support my blog after neglecting it for so long. I may have given up my childhood dream but I will always be grateful for everything that has happened. If it wasn't for it, I would not have gotten the little push I needed to start again. 

Stay Sassy!

Post a Comment

© Saskia Sacro. Design by FCD.