SEVEN THINGS I LEARNED IN 2017

28 January 2018


New year, new me? Nah... just a better me. 2017 was one rocky year, as a matter of fact, I am actually struggling to put into words to describe the year. For one, it started off in a really bad note and ever since, it just caused a domino effect. One bad thing led to another and it continued on going for most parts of the year. But I've got to say, no matter how terrible my year went in general I still had my share of good days. I became a Flight Attendant, got to travel to Bali and Hong kong with my family, bonded more with my friends and special someone, and a lot more (surprisingly!) which I won't elaborate much. Anyway, despite the bad things that happened this year I'm happy to say some good came out of it and those are the lessons I gained.

1. Health is wealth. Literally!!! If there's anything this year taught me, it is to never neglect my health and sadly, I only realized it when it was already too late. I underwent a medium surgery last September, and not only was it an agitating experience for me but also to my parents who spent a great deal of money just to had something toxic removed from my body. So, save yourself (and your family) the hassle and drink plenty of water everyday. Staying hydrated is always important.

2. Not everything is sunshine and daisies. 2017 was like a big dice game for me. One day I'm elated, the next day I'm frustrated. The whirlwind of sleep deprivation, mood swings and breakdowns I had to endure last year made me realize that "not everything is sunshine and daisies". But that doesn't mean we can't make the best out of every situation.

3. Negative mind, will never give you a positive life. There were days that I was very pessimistic about life. I can tell you that honestly. The result? Worries, fears and a lot of overthinking. This 2018, I will definitely leave all the negativity behind and start anew.

4. Never give up on your dreams. Clichè I know, but it's true - DREAMS DO COME TRUE. 2017 was the year I achieved one of my biggest dream in life and that is to become a Flight Attendant. I didn't get it with one snap of a finger though; there were compromises, hard work and sacrifices done along the way but that's what makes it fulfilling.

5. Always be punctual, presentable and professional. It’s time we stop celebrating and accepting "Filipino Time" as part of our culture. Ever since I started working in an airline industry, I learned to give importance to other people's time and improve my time management skills. Things have changed a great deal, ever since. I've accomplished more with less effort and time and it enabled me to do the right things at the right time.

6. Music is the best stress-reliever. Listening to music can help relieve stress in many ways and can be even more effective than tablets. It has a tremendous relaxing effect and I'm sure a lot of you will agree. This year, I've gotten to one of the lowest points in my life but with the help of music (and a little push from my family and friends) I was able to surpass it. I will probably be sharing more of that in my next post...

7. Appreciate everything and everyone around you. Despite the setbacks I experienced in the past year, I still feel blessed and lucky to be surrounded by people who continuously support and love me. Whenever I'm going through some tough times, they always remind me that no matter what, things will eventually get better. With that being said, I learned to be more grateful to the people around me and to not take things for granted because not everyone is as privileged enough.

I'm excited and nervous for what 2018 has in store for me and I'm definitely ready to take on the challenge! I will end this post with a quote from one of my favorite artists, Carrie Underwood, "Every day is a new day, and you'll never be able to find happiness if you don't move on."

Happy New Year everyone and Stay Sassy! 

Post a Comment

© Saskia Sacro. Design by FCD.