SONGS THAT GUIDED ME THROUGH LIFE

18 February 2018

Each of us have a different way of coping with stress. Most people can cope by relaxing, taking a walk, chatting through issues with friends, or having a good night’s sleep. As for me, listening to music is my escape. Music has the power to transport us to another place, another time, another dimension and it moves us in a way that nothing else does. So today, let me share with you the songs that guided me through life and hopefully, this will also be of help to anyone going through something similar.


Both Sides Now by Joni Mitchell - My Dad introduced me to Joni's music during my teen years and since then she had become my biggest musical influence growing up. Joni Mitchell's music is very raw, honest and empowering. Most of her songs are spell-binding from start to finish, it transports us to a whole new universe. Both Sides Now is the first song I've heard from Joni, aside from its great tune, the lyrics hit me really deep. The song tells us that our perspective in life will change as we grow older. There's a line in the song that I particularly got hung up on that was about losing and gaining something new everyday. What we thought about love, our relationship with friends and how we see our surroundings while we were younger wouldn't remain as they are and that's okay. Joni's basically telling us to never be afraid of change because we may lose something good but we may gain something even better.

But now old friends are acting strange. They shake their heads, they say I've changed. Well something's lost, but something's gained in living every day.



God Gave Rock 'n Roll To You by K.I.S.S - Are you actually surprised I included this on the list? You shouldn't be because if you know the song and the story behind it you'll clearly understand why I did. If Joni's song "Both Sides Now" tells us about perspectives in life; this K.I.S.S. song, on the other hand, pushes us to pursue the things we're passionate about no matter what before it's too late. 

If you wanna be a singer, or play guitar. Man, you gotta sweat or you won't get far
Cause it's never too late to work nine-to-five, you can take a stand, or you can compromise
You can work real hard or just fantasize, but you don't start livin' till you realize.



The Sunshine Song by Jason Mraz - I am and have always been a fan of Jason Mraz. His songs Living in the Moment, I Won't Give Up and Frank D. Fixer are just few of his many songs that really made a mark on me. Like Joni, Jason's music take me in a realm of optimism. Anyway, just recently while I was scrolling through Jason Mraz' playlist on Spotify, I came across The Sunshine Song. The first line of the song goes; "Well sometimes the sun shines on other people's houses and not mine" and for some reason, I just felt the need to continue listening to it. I'm glad I did. There are not many songs that move me when I listen to them for the first time, but The Sunshine Song just hit me with a wave of different emotions. What made the song even more special for me is because I didn't see it coming... it was unexpected. They said, beautiful things just happen unexpectedly, and The Sunshine Song is definitely one of them. 

Somehow the sun keeps shining upon you while I struggle to get mine.
If there's a light in everybody, send out your ray of sunshine.



Sige Lang by Quest - I was first introduced to Quest during the Anti-Bullying Campaign event by Penshoppe last year. He was one of the performers that showcased their motivational songs and empowering spiels. I can't recall if he sang "Sige Lang" during the event but one thing for sure is, when I heard it on Spotify I fell in love. When I listen to music, I focus too much on the lyrics and that's probably the reason why this song immediately got me hooked up. Quest is just one of those Filipino musicians that bursts with so much positivity in their songs. He use music to express the same feelings we have in a way and through that we get to understand ourselves more. I remember the very moment I heard this song, it was a time in my life when music was my only comfort. This particular line, "May paparating na bagong alon, pwede kang lamunin o pwede mong sabayan. Yung aral ng kahapon pwede ka ngang gabayan. Kung ako sayo tumayo ka na dyan" honestly slammed be back to reality. It made me realize that I am not alone as I thought. So instead of losing hope, I started to believe in myself more. 

Walang imposible sige lang ng sige. Abot mo ang mundo.
Malapit o malayo sama sama tayo hanggang sa dulo. 
Ano man ang pagsubok hindi susuko, alam kong kaya mo.

Feel free to share with me the songs that guided you through life on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!
Stay Sassy 

PHOTO CREDITS
Joni Mitchell - parabola.org
K.I.S.S. - movethatjukebox.com
Jason Mraz - hdwallwide.com
Quest - billboard.ph

Post a Comment

© Saskia Sacro. Design by FCD.