Trip to the North: Bell Tower, Bantay, Ilocos Sur

25 December 2013


It was on December 21, my family and I decided to escape from the stressful and busy city life and explore the wonderful places in the Northern part of the country. At first, I was a little hesitant to go out of town for the holiday but I realized it was a golden opportunity (yes, I'm exaggerating) and it's not every year we get to celebrate Christmas with our Dad. 



We left Manila at around 3 AM. We decided to leave early since we'll be travelling by land and the road trip going to Ilocos Norte will take us more than 12 hours. I'm not surprised since my family and I are used to taking really long trips, the farthest we've traveled by land was in Sagada and it took us 13 hours of leisurely drive to get there! Anyway, our first stop was at the Bell Tower located at Bantay, Ilocos Sur. 



We were greeted by local veterans who shared with us a brief history of the church and the bell tower. The Bantay Church (also known as St. Augustine Parish) and the bell tower is one of the famous landmarks of the town and it's a MUST see. I was in awe just looking at the design of the tower and how well it was built. But you won't really appreciate the beauty until you go inside and witness the wonderful view of the town from that lofty vista. Such a great piece of the Philippine history!


What I'm wearing: cropped top (Bershka), denim short jumpsuit (Gap), boots (Landmark), shades (Sunnies by Charlie)


Can you believe it? I got this stylish boots for only Php 600.00. This is the only shoes in my collection that I can wear under the rain without worrying about breaking it. Versatility, durability and practicality at its finest!




I took this shot and I'm VERY PROUD of it. Hahaha! This photo reminds me so much of Hogwarts in Harry Potter, maybe because of the architectural design of the church or from the ambient lighting. Pardon my digression, but I really miss watching Harry Potter movies and being a kid... if only I can go back and enjoy every bit of it again.

 Just a thought; It's paradoxical that as a kid we can't wait to grow up, but then as an adult now how we wish we were kids again. Strange, isn't it? 






And here's Jiddu praying (?) inside the Bantay Church and imitating his "kaloka-like" Zaijan Jaranilla or Santino



To end our first day in the North, here's my shot of the sunset. Hope you like it!

Stay Sassy and Merry Christmas Everybody! 

"Watch out for my next post! Trip to the North: Cape Bojeador Lighthouse, Burgos , Ilocos Norte"

Post a Comment

© Saskia Sacro. Design by FCD.